NC Services Ramped Down In Shutdown Get Restored
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina's government is getting back up to speed now that the federal shutdown is over and federal funds for welfare, health and child care programs are flowing back to the states.
The state Department of Health and Human Services said Thursday that 2,200 workers that had been furloughed or faced reduced hours because their pay was all or partially funded by Washington are being told to return to work full-time. Less than 10 percent of those workers weren't able to work at all.
County officials were told they can resume processing Work First welfare applications and that child care subsidy funds have been restored to previous levels.
DHHS spokesman Ricky Diaz said the state agency hoped to have all services restored by the end of Thursday.