Advertisement:

2 Homes Destroyed, More Damaged By NC Storm

BELHAVEN, N.C. Three people, including a woman who is eight months pregnant, are still in the hospital following an apparent tornado in rural Beaufort County.


Beaufort County Emergency Management Director John Pack said Tuesday morning that no one suffered serious injuries from the storm that destroyed two houses and significantly damaged six other homes on Monday afternoon.


The National Weather Service says video of the storm indicates a tornado touched down near Belhaven. Weather Service officials planned to visit the area Tuesday to try and confirm the tornado strike and its path, length and force.


The woman and her family live in one of the houses that were destroyed, Pack said. They were saved because her husband saw the approaching storm and got them all out of the house, running to a nearby ditch for safety.


The woman was taken to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville because she had equipment in her home that was monitoring her pregnancy. Pack said the woman is all right but will remain in the hospital until new equipment can be installed.


A total of five people suffered injuries during the storm. The Red Cross has been providing aid to those displaced by the storm and Pack said that all of the people whose homes were damaged or destroyed are with friends and family.


Power had been restored by 10 p.m. Monday to all customers but that power crews remain in the area to continue working on the power lines, Pack said.


InfoCenter


RDU Radar


Triangle Traffic

Reports | Cams

Air Quality

Pollen Forecast

Station Events

Advertisement:

On Air Now

Dr. Joy Browne

Dr. Joy Browne

10:00pm - 12:00am
Call: 1-800-544-7070

Next Up:

Dr. Joy Browne

On Air Now

Lars Larson

Lars Larson

9:00pm - 12:00am
Call: 1-866-HEY-LARS

Next Up:

Lars Larson

Advertisements

Listener Club Login

Club Login
Sign up if you are not already a member